01 02 03 Twinkling Tina Cooks: A to Z Challenge Day #18 - R for Red Velvet Cup Cakes 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A to Z Challenge Day #18 - R for Red Velvet Cup Cakes

34
Hello there… how is Monday treating you? Are you having the Monday Morning Blues? If yes I have the perfect trick to vanish that blue and get in some red! Yes I have my favourite cup cake today for my R post. It’s the Red Velvet Cup Cakes. I so love cup cakes and they are so easy to bake. I tend to avoid a lot of frosting in my cup cakes and like a rustic basic cup cake. But somehow I love the red velvet cup cakes because of its distinct flavor and color of course.
  
In my recipe I have kept it very easy and basic and have done 3 with a cream cheese frosting and left the rest without frosting.

This recipe makes 6 cup cakes.



 All that you need

For the Cup cake

  1. All purpose flour – 21/2  cups
  2. Confectioners’ Sugar – 1 cup
  3. Coco powder – ½ cup
  4. Salt – ½ teaspoon
  5. Butter – 1 cup
  6. Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoon
  7. Egg – 2 whole
  8. Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
  9. Vanilla essence – 1 tablespoon
  10. Butter milk – ½ cup
  11. Red Food coloring – 2 tablespoon [I used a powdered food grade color called Orange Red, if you get a color paste try to use that, it brings out amazing color, but a powder or liquid color is not that bad also.]


For the Frosting

I did very little frosting for photo’s sake so my proportions will vary. I’ll somehow will give a recipe for frosting if you want to do it for all six cup cakes

  1. Cream cheese – 6 tablespoon (in room temperature)
  2. Butter – 4 tablespoon
  3. Confectioners’ Sugar – 1/2 cup
  4. Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon


Let’s get started

For the Cup cake

Its super easy actually you need to mix all dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then mix them together.

In a mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder and mix cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar and salt

In another bowl mix butter, eggs, oil, butter milk, vanilla essence and food coloring.

Now pour the wet mixture in the dry ingredients and mix into a smooth batter

You will find it has a bright red color. It will deepen further as you bake them.

Now line a muffin tray with muffin liners (no need to grease tray)

Pour in the batter with ice cream scoops.

Now bake in a preheated  oven at 180 degrees C or 356 degrees F for 15 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.





Tip: How Will you know your cup cake is baked?

When you place your finger on top it should be like spring action and your finger shouldn’t sink in or you shouldn’t get batter on your finger. It means it still requires little more baking time.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting

Take butter and cream cheese in room temperature in a mixing bowl and mix together with a spatula.

Add confectioners’ sugar and mix

Add lemon juice and mix (it will give a nice kick)

How to do the frosting?

Don’t start frosting on cupcakes which are just out from the oven, the cheese will melt.

Let the cupcakes cool down on a wire rack for 15 minutes.

You can pour the frosting in a piping bag and then swirl over the cup cakes, or use the back of a spoon or a butter knife.


I did it with a spoon because I made very little frosting and I was too lazy. I made it last evening for dinner, and we almost had the desserts first and then our dinner! 



So there you go your Red Velvet Cup Cakes are ready.

The last two pictures are clicked under light so you can see the bright red color better.

Leave a comment below if you liked the recipe and you want me to share some more

--------------------------------------------------------------
Linking this post to A to Z Challenge 2014 for Day #18 - post starting with R. 
Visit A to Z and read awesome posts by bloggers. 
I am also participating in this challenge from my writing blog and I'm writing fiction this time. Visit The Sunny Side of Life and show some love.
--------------------------------------------------------------







Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38