01 02 03 Twinkling Tina Cooks: A to Z Challenge Day #19 - S for Shepherd's Pie 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

A to Z Challenge Day #19 - S for Shepherd's Pie

34
Hello there, how are you guys doing? We are almost at the last leg of the challenge on the 19th day and it is S today. I have one of my comfort foods today for S. I love it because of its simplicity and warmth and a million thanks to the person who invented it. It is Shepherd’s Pie!! It is quick, simple, easy and so no nonsense kind of food.  I love it in the winters and the times when I don’t want to do something elaborate!

It’s a meat pie from the British Cuisine and I love old fashioned British food because ethey are really simple yet so yummy. I am such a Jamie Oliver follower – this one is not his recipe though. I don’t remember when and where I had it first but I remember making it for a long time.

It is one of those pies where you don’t need a short crust or you don’t need any flour at all. It’s gluten free!

There is also something called a cottage pie and that’s almost similar only it’s done with ground beef where as this is done with ground lamb. In case you are a white meat lover you can use this same recipe and replace lamb with minced chicken.

Now let’s get into making it.



All that you need

This recipe is for two people
  1. Ground lamb – 250 gms
  2. Onion – 1 chopped
  3. Carrots – 1 chopped
  4. Garlic – 4-5 cloves – minced
  5. Potato – 4 large boiled potato
  6. Olive oil – 2 tablespoon
  7. Salt & pepper to taste
  8. Smoked Paprika – 2 teaspoon
  9. Butter – 2 teaspoon
  10. Cheese – grated cheddar – 2 tablespoon

Let’s get started

In a skillet heat olive oil

Add garlic and sauté in the oil

Add onions and fry till translucent

Add carrots and fry for 2 minutes

Add ground meat and fry for 5-6 minutes till you see oil oozing out from sides

Add seasoning and smoked paprika. (I have added little coriander seed powder for that extra zing)

Cook till meat is tender. It should take about 4 more minutes

In a mixing bowl mash the boiled and peeled potatoes.

Add little butter and salt while making this mashed potato

Arranging the Pie

In a pie dish put the meat mixture and top it off with a layer of mashed potato

Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top

Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or till the top layers turns golden.

Now wasn't that a really easy rustic recipe. You can improvise on a lot of things. You can use a piping bag to pour the mashed potato and make some designs, you can make some designs with the form as well - I have done that but not quite visible here. 

Anyways enjoy and let me know if its HOT or NOT


Leave a comment below if you liked the recipe and you want me to share some more


--------------------------------------------------------------
Linking this post to A to Z Challenge 2014 for Day #19 - post starting with S. 
Visit A to Z and read awesome posts by bloggers. 
I am also participating in this challenge from my writing blog and I'm writing fiction this time. Visit The Sunny Side of Life and show some love.
--------------------------------------------------------------






Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38